Bloglovin' Facebook Pinterest E-Mail Instagram Shop Home About Us Freebies Shop Image Map

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Resolutions in the Classroom

Until the past couple years, I’ve never been much of a New Year’s Resolutions fan – it always seemed like a futile exercise in bandwagonry and historically I’ve always tried to avoid the bandwagon. I acknowledge, however, that avoiding things simply because they are popular is not the most advisable practice, as sometimes things are bandwaggony (yes, I like to make up my own words) for a reason.  Take Game of Thrones, for example. Jon Snow, anyone? 

Anyway! My point is that I’m now jumping on the New Year’s Resolution bandwagon. Admittedly, though, the first thing I still think of related to resolutions is the act of making a list of ambitious things you’d like to accomplish in the New Year and then not actually doing any of those things; however, I've realized that resolutions can be pretty meaningful when coupled with the act of self- reflection -- and of course, with a specific plan to hold yourself accountable. 

I created a check-list for my students to write letters to their future selves that outline their resolutions for the coming year. I have them return the letters to me, sealed (either with a staple or in an envelope if I'm feeling fancy) and then I return the letters to them at the end of the year. This has made for great conversation in the past and works well with any type of end-of-year reflection activity.


I like to preface this activity by gauging student’s attitudes about resolutions, and I usually find that many of my students feel the same way I used to/still kind of feel. I then lead into a brief conversation about self-reflection, where most students agree that it’s an important practice for personal, social and academic life. We discuss how often we should be "reflecting" in our own lives and what that actually looks like-- and those responses are always quite interesting. This is a great activity for a language arts class during the week before winter break! :) 

Thanks for stopping by the blog today! 




5 comments:

  1. You might not face many things in those year and some unexpected things happen to you or you see some unexpected, which let you down. https://www.professionalresearchpaperwriters.com/faq/ you'll be get more ideas about the writing help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these boots are really some easiest one as you can easily understanding the code for these moods and you can easily edit them when you needed to. explore the details that is for more help on your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you need been with this things then how would you know about them. why not find out more of our service on personal statement editing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always tried making New Year resolutions but by the end of the year, none of that is accomplished. This happens maybe because I am not self-determined about achieving what I planned. This new year I will ask a professional to do my assignment for me based and I can enjoy partying with my friends. I have to focus on my academics from next year and to fulfil this resolution I have to get all my previous assignments done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across best dissertation writing this information, is very helpful my friend.

    ReplyDelete