Bloglovin' Facebook Pinterest E-Mail Instagram Shop Home About Us Freebies Shop Image Map

Thursday, December 3, 2015

3 ways for Middle Schoolers to be of Service During the Holiday Season



At this time of the year, people look for ways to give more than they receive.  Every year, I try to get my students involved in just that.  

First, I ask my students for ideas.  Generally they always come up with a canned food drive or a clothes drive or some kind of pet food drive.  Now, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with drives - I just like to think out of the box.  

I write all of their ideas on the board and then, I say "What's one thing you are good at doing?"  I list those things on the board too.  

Next, without speaking, I write ideas for service that are more personal next to the talents the students shared.



The we start brainstorming where we could carol or for whom we should make the cards.  It gets exciting when we start to think of others! 

Over the years, the 3 best (or most popular) ideas have been:

Singing Carols at the nearby Assisted Living (complete with Christmas hats and cookies of course!)

Making Christmas cards for the Custodians, Cafeteria workers, the local firemen and the local police.

Decorating the halls of the school, hospital, or Assisted Living.

These are all low-cost and focus on giving of oneself rather than on giving material items.  To me, this is the true meaning of the season and one of the most important lessons of all.  














7 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Such a great way to get students invested in service. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Such a great way to get students invested in service. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new Oau pre dregree students had filled like wise this http://www.applicationessayprompts.com/answers-to-college-essay-prompts/ to their all rights which has been reserved for them to stay on here in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At your middle school you will know a lot of things among with best ideas here while some you use for yourself and some you used to find the best ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some important notes will be shosed in the dev samaj school and you need to look here to know about those notes and get help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. School is so helpful site for the students. I know this very well. Bcoz this is an great opportunity for the students. They can get knowledge form here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm again here for the best part. this post really attract me so much that's why i'm here. so best post I have ever read and very good site also.

    ReplyDelete