Bloglovin' Facebook Pinterest E-Mail Instagram Shop Home About Us Freebies Shop Image Map

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

A Christmas Carol Project & Task Cards

Before Christmas break, my students and I were reading the short story version of “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens from Scope Magazine, which I found online and saved here .  I found a great lesson on ReadWriteThink.org (RWT) called “Beyond the Story:  A Dickens of a Party.  

In this lesson, students are required to research 4 specific areas (history, fashion, entertainment, and etiquette) regarding the Victorian Period, which is when "A Christmas Carol" takes place.  In order to incorporate technology (and make the assignment a little easier for me to grade) I used the information provided on the RWT website and created virtual task cards using power point on each of the areas students were to investigate.  On each card I included links that students could click on in order to perform their research.  Then I posted this assignment on Edmodo.  This allowed students to have the option to complete part of the assignment at home, if needed, and then submit their work using Edmodo, as well. If you aren't familiar with Edmodo, Education Technology & Mobile Learning posted a great video tutorial on how to use Edmodo in the classroom here.  The lesson turned out great and even kept my students engaged during that last week of school before getting out for Christmas! 

I have included the instructions I provided my students, as well as directions for how to use Edmodo, below.  Have you used virtual task cards in your classroom?  I'd love to hear how they worked for you!






No comments:

Post a Comment