Bloglovin' Facebook Pinterest E-Mail Instagram Shop Home About Us Freebies Shop Image Map

Friday, September 18, 2015

Fun with Bio Poems!


(huge thanks to Kimberly Geswin fonts! I'm addicted!)


Hi all,

Shana from Hello Teacher Lady here.  

I hope everyone is off to a wonderful start this year. My 7th graders just finished up one of my favorite beginning-of-year activities, the Bio Poem. It's perfectly themed for a language arts class and it helps me learn a ton about my students in a short period of time. 

I used this amazing free resource, Bio Poems Made Easy, by Laura Candler.  I made a handout for students with the planning boxes on one side and the template on the other. This is a great time to talk to students about the importance of planning in writing and the difference between a draft and the final copy. I noticed that many of my students at first tried to skip the planning boxes and went straight to the template, so I made sure to really stress the planning stage and modeled filling in the boxes and narrowing down ideas myself (now my students know I'm afraid of snakes, fish and chainsaws -- hope they don't make of me too much). 

Once they finish filling in their template and are happy with their draft, I give them the blank sheet to create their final copy. Since my end goal is to hang them in my room and I have 100+ students, I decided to scale the final copy sheet down to fit two on a page. 

Now I'm able to sit back and read with amazement while learning a bunch of interesting things about my kids, and I also have some fun and creative student work to display for parents at curriculum night. It's a win-win! 


My almost-complete Bio Poem board!
I also really like the idea of extending the Bio Poem idea to fictional characters or historical figures. I think we'll give it a shot during our Investigating Characters unit this year.

Thanks for stopping by!



5 comments:

  1. Sometimes you have to go beyond the boundaries if you wanted to know more about it then and this is why this kind of pushing is really needed. on this page that will give you a clear idea about the writing services.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some cases you'll have to transcend typically the boundaries any time you was going to understand to fix it therefore not to mention its for these reasons these promoting is usually vital. on that website page who provides a definitive theory concerning penning assistance.You may check it at https://biowritingservice.com/elevator-pitch-writing-guide/.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At times you must rise above the particular more limits in the event you wished to learn regarding it next and also this is the reason this type of driving is absolutely necessary. with this site in which will provide you with an obvious thought in regards to the creating companies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will create friendly relationship with students. and we should follow such method that students don't feel boredom while learning and studying. Here is the link www.scriptwriting.biz/secrets-for-successful-video-game-script-writing/ we are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah this concept is very new and i can really learn many writing tips from this blog post. This independent activity will give them positive message.

    ReplyDelete